In Bayreuth, materials research is attached to the Faculty of Engineering Science, the Faculty of Biology, Chemistry & Earth Sciences, and the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science.
Materials research at the University of Bayreuth is carried out in close cooperation with
- the Bayreuth Centre for Materials Science & Engineering (BayMAT)
- the Bayreuth Centre for Colloids & Interfaces (BZKG)
- the Experimental Physics, Bayreuth Institute for Macromolecular Research (BIMF)
- the Bavarian Research Institute of Experimental Geochemistry & Geophysics (BGI)
- the Technology Alliance of Upper Franconia (TAO)
- the faculties mentioned above
and non-university institutions such as
- Neue Materialien Bayreuth GmbH
- the Fraunhofer Centre for High-Temperature Materials & Design (HTL)
- the Friedrich-Baur BioMed Center
Materials research at the University of Bayreuth is carried out in international cooperation with many research institutes in Europe, the United States, Africa, and Asia. Close relationships with a range of SMEs and companies in the industry also exist in the area of application-oriented research.